Skip to main content

Health & Wellness

At South Colonie, the health and well-being of our students are at the forefront of our educational mission. Our District Health Services team is dedicated to providing a wide range of services designed to promote and safeguard the health of each student within our community.

BMI reporting to New York State

New York state requires schools to track each student’s body mass index (BMI) and weight status category as part of school health examinations. Every year, the New York State Department of Health surveys some schools for the number of students in each weight status category. If South Colonie Central School District is surveyed by the state, the district will share summary group data only and will not share summary group calculations. In order to opt-out of the sharing of this data, parents must contact their school nurse.

First Aid

Basic first aid is rendered to all who may require it. If the injury is extensive, a paramedic call may be made to transport the student for medical attention. Accident/incident reports are made on all serious injuries.


All students enrolled in New York State schools grades K-12 must provide proof of immunizations.

New York State Required Immunizations for School Entrance


Medication in School

In order for a school nurse to administer medication during school hours, either prescription or over the counter, the following are required by the State of New York:

  1. An order from a licensed prescriber including name of medication, dosage and time to be administered;
  2. Parent/guardian permission to administer the medication;
  3. The parent/guardian must assume the responsibility to have the medication delivered directly to the school nurse in a properly labeled original container.

Students who have been diagnosed with severe allergies or asthma may need to carry emergency medications on their person. This is permissible and highly advised. The physician may complete a release to self-medicate form. The school nurse will keep this on file. Please contact your child’s school nurse for necessary forms.

Mental Health

Mental health and wellness is an integral part of our overall well-being, influencing our ability to learn, grow, and lead fulfilling lives. In recognition of this, South Colonie is committed to promoting awareness, reducing stigma, and fostering a supportive environment where individuals can seek help, guidance and understanding. Learn more about our Mental Health Supports here. 

Sick at School

Students who get sick during the school day need to report to the school nurse before calling or texting a parent to come get them or leaving school on their own. Any student leaving school due to illness must be released by the school nurse.

Sports Physicals

To play on a team, or even practice, students must — by law — have a sports physical on file with the school nurse. Students who participate in interscholastic sports, must have a physical every 12 months. Medical histories (the 40 questions) must be updated and reviewed by the school nurse before each sport season.

Students injured during a sports season must have written clearance from their doctor before the school doctor can allow them to return to play. If your child needs to have a physical done by the school doctor, call Access Health at 782-2200. You are not charged a fee for the physical. All athletes require a parent/guardian signed Health History Update Form at the beginning of each sport season which is accessible through the Aspen Student/Parent Portal no sooner than 30 days before the start of each season per NYS law. Please contact your school nurse if you are having difficulty with this.

Working Papers

Students may obtain their 14-15 year old or 16-17 year old working papers in the Nurse’s Office. A parent completed application is required and students must have a valid physical dated within one year of the application. This must be done before the end of the school year. Please see your school nurse to get an Application for Employment Certificate or you can access the State’s Application for Employment Certificate here