The South Colonie Board of Education is made up of nine volunteer citizens who are each elected on the third Tuesday in May each year to serve five-year terms.
A school board member takes on one of the most important citizen responsibilities: overseeing the education of the community’s youth. School boards are comprised of volunteers within the community who dedicate their time to better public education. The Board of Education oversees and manages the community’s public school system. It ensures the public schools are flexible and responsive to the needs of the community. Election to the Board of Education is an extremely important responsibility.
The following Board of Education vacancies are set to be filled in the upcoming election on May 16, 2023.
- Member for five (5) year term expiring June 30, 2028, to succeed Stephanie Cogan seat.
- Member for five (5) year term expiring June 30, 2028, to succeed Colleen Gizzi seat.
Petitions nominating candidates for the office of a member of the Board of Education are available to qualified District residents and may be picked up at the District Office, 102 Loralee Drive, Albany, NY between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Please call the District Clerk at 869-3576, ext. 0442 to schedule an appointment.
Petitions for the nomination of a Candidate for the Board of Education should be filed in the office of the District Clerk during normal business hours (9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), not later than the thirtieth (30) day preceding the school election at which the Candidates nominated are to be elected.
Deadline for petitions
Monday, April 17, 2023 by 4 p.m.
The lottery for all Candidates who have filed a petition on or before April 17, 2023 will be held in-person on Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4 p.m.
If you are unable to attend, you should designate, in writing, a representative who may attend on your behalf and participate in the lottery. If this is not possible, the District Clerk shall be authorized to act as proxy and you will be notified of your position on the ballot following the lottery.
Running for the Board
- A Candidate may only be nominated to one seat.
- Each petition must be directed to the District Clerk, must be signed by at least twenty-six (26) qualified voters of the District (at least 25 signatures or equal to two percent of the voters who voted in the previous annual election, whichever is greater). For 2023 each petition must be signed by at least twenty-six (26) qualified voters of the District.
- Must state the name and residence of the Candidate.
- Must describe the specific vacancy for which the Candidate is nominated, including at least the length of the term of office and the name of the last incumbent.
- Each petition must be filed with the District Clerk; the final deadline for petitions nominating candidates is April 17, 2023 at 4 p.m.
Please call Amber Lanigan, District Clerk at 869-3576, ext. 0442, if you are interested in running for one of the seats open for nomination this year.