The New York State School Boards Association recognizes October 22-26 as School Board Recognition Week. This is a time to promote awareness and understanding of the important work performed by school board members. South Colonie is joining all public school districts across the state to celebrate School Board Recognition Week to honor local board members for their commitment to Colonie and its children.
Click below for a special school board recognition message:
“It takes strong schools to build a strong community, and these men and women devote countless hours to making sure our schools are helping every child learn at a higher level,” said Superintendent Jonathan Buhner. “They make the tough decisions every month and spend many hours studying education issues and regulations to provide the kind of accountability our citizens expect.”
South Colonie has nine school board members each serving five-year unpaid terms. The key work of all school boards is to raise student achievement by:
- Creating a shared vision for the future of education
- Setting the direction of the school district to achieve the highest student performance
- Providing accountability for student achievement results
- Developing a budget that aligns district resources to improve achievement
- Supporting a healthy school district culture in which to work and to learn
- And much more!
“School board members give South Colonie citizens a voice in education decision making. Even though we make a special effort to show our appreciation in October, their contribution is a year-round commitment,” Buhner added.
The members serving our district and their years of service are as follows: