Staff Resources For All South Colonie District Employees
The Staff Resources provides a variety of resources and general information for all South Colonie employees such as benefits, payroll forms, Family Medical Leave Act, sexual harassment, Capital Employees Assistance Program and more.
If you are unable to access any of the forms on this web page, please call the Department of Human Resources at (518) 869-3576 for assistance
Benefit Plans/Open Enrollment Periods
Health Insurance: The months of November and May are open enrollment for district health insurance for all eligible employees. The effective date of coverage for November enrollment is January 1. The effective date of coverage for May enrollment is July 1. The district offers Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan and Blue Shield of Northeastern New York. Check your employee contract for eligibility.
District Health Insurance
Website Resources – Capital Area Schools Health Insurance Consortium
- Blue Shield Website Resources
- CDPHP Website Resources
- Blue Shield HealthyLife Rewards Program Cancellation Information
Health Insurance Plans
- Blue Shield PPO 815 $25 Co-pay Plan with Express Scripts Summary Sheet
- Blue Shield PPO 815 $25 Co-pay Plan with Express Scripts Summary Benefit Coverage
- Blue Shield PPO 815 $25 Co-pay Plan without Express Scripts Summary Sheet
- Blue Shield PPO 815 $25 Co-pay Plan without Express Scripts Summary Benefit Coverage
- Blue Shield PPO 816 $20 Co-pay Plan with Express Scripts Summary Sheet
- Blue Shield PPO 816 $20 Co-pay Plan with Express Scripts Summary Benefit Coverage
- Blue Shield PPO 816 $20 Co-pay Plan without Express Scripts Summary Sheet
- Blue Shield PPO 816 $20 Co-pay Plan without Express Scripts Summary Benefit Coverage
- CDPHP $15 Co-pay Plan EA5Z19 Summary Sheet
- CDPHP $15 Co-pay Plan EA5Z19 Summary Benefit Coverage
- CDPHP $25 Co-pay Plan S. Colonie 219 Summary Sheet
- CDPHP $25 Co-pay Plan S. Colonie 219 Summary Benefit Coverage
- Express Scripts $5-$20-$35 Co-pay Plan Summary Sheet
- Express Scripts $5-$20-$35 Co-pay Plan Summary Benefit Coverage
- Express Scripts $10-$25-$40 Co-pay Plan Summary Sheet
- EXPRESS SCRIPTS $10-$25-$40 COPAY PLAN SBC
- Forever Blue 799 PPO Plan
- CDPHP Medicare Advantage Group PPO Benefit Summary
- Delta Dental – Summary Plan Description
- Glossary of Health Care Coverage and Medical Terms
- 1095 Health Coverage – What it mean for your taxes
All employees must notify the Health Insurance Department of changes that affect their coverage, i.e. changes from individual to two person or family coverage. If an employee marries and wants to change to two-person coverage, that change must be made within 30 days of the date of the marriage. Please note that dependents are not automatically added to coverage. A new baby is to be reported within 30 days of the baby’s birth in order to obtain proper coverage. A new birth is to be reported even if the employee already has family coverage. Coverage is provided for children to age 26, except for dental insurance which is through age 19. Coverage may be extended to age 25 if the child is a full time student attending an accredited college or university. For information about claims, providers, etc., please contact Kimberly Lawyer at Amsure at (518) 689-1553 or 1-800-458-1851 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019-2020 South Colonie Health Insurance Regulations
- South Colonie Dental/Optical Insurance Regulations
Dental and Prescription Plans: The month of May ONLY is open enrollment for the Delta Dental Plan. November and May are open enrollment for the Express Scripts Prescription Plan. Check your employee contract for eligibility.
For eligibility information and enrollment packets regarding health, dental and prescription insurance contact the South Colonie Insurance Department at (518) 869-3576, Ext. 0455. For information about claims, providers, etc., please contact Kimberly Lawyer at Amsure at (518) 689-1553 or 1-800-458-1851 or by email at email@example.com.
Employee Life Insurance Information
- Beneficiary Designation/Change Form
- Active Confidential District Employees
- Active Local 294 Members
- Active CSEA Members
- Active Support Supervisors
- Active Teaching Assistants
- Active Teachers
- Active United Public Service Employees
- Retired non-teaching Administrators and retired Support Supervisors
- Retired Confidential District Employees who attained age 55 or more and had either 10 years of service at retirement and retired prior to 07/01/13 or had between 10 and 15 years of service at retirement and retired on or after 07/01/13
- Retired Confidential District Employees who attained age 55 or more and had 15 or more years of service at retirement on or after 07/01/13
- Retired United Public Service Employees who attained age 55 or more and had either 10 years of service at retirement and retired prior to 07/01/13 or had between 10 and 15 years of service at retirement and retired on or after 07/01/13
- Retired United Public Service Employees who attained age 55 or more and had 15 or more years of service at retirement on or after 07/01/13
The month of May ONLY is open enrollment for the district’s Flexible Spending Accounts. As of January, 2011, bt benetech is the administrator of the South Colonie Flexible Spending Benefit Plan. Flex plans run the fiscal year – July to June. Flexible Spending Accounts provide you with an important tax advantage that can help you pay health care and dependent care expenses on a pre-tax basis. By anticipating your family’s health care and dependent care costs for the next plan year you can actually lower your taxable income. For more information on Flexible Account Spending plans and for enrollment forms, contact the South Colonie Payroll Department at (518) 869-3576, ext. 0456, or click on the documents below.
- Flexible Spending Plan Modifications
- Flexible Spending Plan Summary and Overview
- Flexible Spending Program Information
- Flexible Spending Contact Information for bt benetech
- Flexible Spending Enrollment and Change in Family Status Form
- Benetech Medical Expense Recovery Form
- Benetech Dependent Care Expense Recovery Form
Tax Sheltered Annuities (TSAs)/403(b) Plan
Tax Sheltered Annuities/403(b) Plan: South Colonie Schools makes available to all district employees through Benetech a voluntary retirement savings TSA or 403(b) plan. You can enroll at any time.
- 403(b) Adoption Resolution – Board of Education
- Benetech Information Letter to Employees
- 403(b) Universal Availability Notification
- Information on setting up an account – Benetech
- 403(b) Summary Provisions
- List of District Approved 403(b) Providers
NYS Deferred Compensation Plan 457(b)
- Board of Education Adoption of NYS Deferred Compensation Plan
- What is a Deferred Compensation Plan?
- NYS Deferred Compensation Plan: Plan Overview and Document
- NYS Deferred Compensation Plan: A Plan for your Future
- NYS Deferred Compensation Plan: Serving You Through Retirement
Retirement Information and Questions
For questions and information on retirement issues such as benefits and loans, please do NOT call the South Colonie District Offices. Instead, Teachers, Teaching Assistants and Administrators and retirees should contact the New York State Teachers Retirement System at (518) 447-2900 or 1-800-348-7298. All other district employees and retirees should contact the New York State and Local Retirement System at (518) 474-7736 or 1-866-805-0990. Retirement forms are available at the District Office but may also be downloaded quickly from these websites.
- South Colonie Mileage Claim Form 2019
- Conference/Professional Meeting Reimbursement Forms 2019-2020
- Payroll Procedures and 2019-2020 Pay Check Issuing Calendar
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- Savings Bond Deduction Form/Treasury Direct Account Information
- Form W-4 Federal Income Tax Withholding
- Form IT-2104 New York State Tax Withholding
- Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
- Employee Change of Address Form
- School Systems Federal Credit Union
- Cap Com Federal Credit Union
If you would like your direct deposit form emailed to you instead of printed then please fill out this form: Direct Deposit Paystub E-mail Request
Capital Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is an important benefit provided to you by your employer. EAP services are available to you and your dependents at no cost. These services include: professional counseling (individual, relationship, family), life coaching, depression screening, legal and financial referrals, workshops and trainings on personal and professional development topics, extensive online information and resources on wellness and mental health topics, and more.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
The Family Medical Leave Act requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to eligible employees for a variety of reasons. The Department of Human Resources offers the following FMLA information for district employees:
- FMLA Entitlement Information
- Child Care Leave: Maternity/Paternity/FMLA – Frequently Asked Questions
- Board of Education FMLA Policy
- FMLA Information Letter: Commonly Asked Questions
- FMLA Request Form For Medical Leave
- FMLA Certification of Health Care Provider
South Colonie Schools are committed to safeguarding the rights of all employees to a work environment that is free from all forms of sexual harassment. The Board of Education has approved the following policies regarding sexual harassment in the workplace:
South Colonie Schools has a Drug Free Workplace policy in effect in compliance with provisions of the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Universal Precautions & Bloodborne Pathogens for New Employees
Universal precautions are hygiene procedures used for blood and body fluids. All blood/body fluid is to be treated as contaminated regardless of its source and contact should be avoided. Barriers such as gloves are to be used to reduce the risk of transmission of bloodborne pathogens. Each employee should obtain a Universal Precautions kit containing disposable gloves from their nurse to have available in case of a need.
The district employs about 500 teachers, 70 teaching assistants and 25 administrators at its five elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school, and District Office. The Teachers/Teaching Assistants/Administrators portion of the Human Resources Department web page provides a variety of resources for these staff members such as the teacher mentoring program, SCTA forms, inservice and professional development, child care leave and more.
- Home Instruction Payroll Report Form
- Benefits Overview of SCTA Employees
- 22-Week Pay Period Sign Up Form
- Change From 22 to 26 Pay Period Form
- Sick Bank Application Form
- Supplemental Compensation Rates Chart (Coordinators, Summer School, etc)
The Beginning Teacher Mentoring Program
Research indicates that 30 percent of new teachers leave the profession during their first three years of service. Citing studies that demonstrate mentoring can foster a successful first year for a teacher, the New York State Education Department requires each school district to have a mentoring program in place. South Colonie was one of the early pioneers of this initiative establishing an active teacher mentoring program many years ago.
- Application For Professional Field Experience/Volunteer/Internships
- Mentor Sign Up Sheet for New Teachers
- Mentor/Mentee Contact Log Form
- Mentor/Mentee Role Description
- In-service Credit Application
- Graduate Credit Application
- Graduate and Inservice Credits Policy
- In-service Hours Guidelines
- In-service Course Policy
- PD Express Sign-In Information
- Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) Requirements
- Professional Development Course List
- Child Care Action Form
- Child Care Leave Check List
- Child Care Leave: Maternity/Paternity/FMLA – Frequently Asked Questions
Extra Curricular Advisors and Coaching Position Information
The district employs more than 400 staff members who fit under the support staff category. Support staff includes bus drivers, office clerical help, custodial workers, food service workers, school monitors, occupational therapy assistants and school nurses who work in all of South Colonie’s schools and offices. This portion of the Human Resources Department web page provides a variety of resources for these staff members.
Open-Ended Job Postings
Applications are always accepted for many full-time, part-time and substitute positions listed below. When an opening occurs, applications will be forwarded to the hiring supervisor for review. For upcoming Civil Service examination announcements, please visit the Albany County Department of Civil Service website.
School Bus Driver
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and CDL B Driver’s License with P and S endorsements. We will provide training to help you attain the necessary licenses.
Repairs diesel and gasoline vehicles. Must possess CDL B Driver’s License with P and S endorsements. Requires high school diploma or equivalent.
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and good computer skills. Previous experience doing clerical work preferred. Substitute position, filling in as needed. Must type at least 35-words-per-minute – test given.
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Semi-skilled building repair and maintenance responsibilities as well as grounds maintenance.
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and previous work experience doing cleaning. Works individually and as part of a team.
Food Service Helper
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Cashier experience helpful.
Performs skilled repairs and maintenance of buildings. Knowledge of carpentry, plumbing and electrical. Must possess CDL B driver license. Requires high school diploma or equivalent.
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Establishes good rapport with students. Those who are bus monitors must take New York State Education Department Bus Aide Pre-Service course (provided by school district).
Provides health services in school buildings. Must possess New York State RN license with CPR and AED certifications.
Works during summer and vacation breaks in maintenance, computer/technology or clerical fields. Requires high school diploma or equivalent.