This information was emailed to families in grades 9-12 on Sunday, Aug. 22.
South Colonie Families,
As we approach the 2021-22 school year, the Colonie Central High School Athletics Department is working to keep you up-to-date on the reopening process of our district and its impact on district athletics for the 2021-22 school year.
The South Colonie CSD continues to partner with the Albany County Department of Health (ACDOH) as we plan the district’s reopening efforts based on the recommended guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), American Academy of Pediatrics and the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
According to CDC guidelines, it recommends the use of layered mitigation efforts that are based on the local level of virus transmission. Similar to the 2020-21 school year, the recommended protocols continue to include the use of face masks, three feet of distancing, screening testing, ventilation, cleaning and disinfection, handwashing and respiratory etiquette, and staying home when sick. As a reminder, the district’s 2.0 Reopening Committee shared their latest update on Friday, July 30. That information can be accessed here.
In addition, on Tuesday, August 24, Lt. Governor Hochul will officially take her post as governor of New York state. Based on her latest statements, we anticipate that the new administration will be issuing additional guidance that will impact the reopening of schools, which could affect athletics. Please note that the district’s reopening process continues to change as new information and data are shared on a daily basis. A full reopening plan for the South Colonie CSD is expected to be available by Wednesday, Aug. 25.
As of today, I would like to share the following information as it pertains to health and safety protocols for Colonie Central High School Athletics:
- masks required
- mask breaks only while maintaining at least 3 feet distancing
- 3 feet distancing required for swimmers while in the water and masks required when out of the water
Locker Rooms/Indoor Spaces
- masks required for all when entering/leaving school building and when in hallways
- limited number of athletes in the locker rooms at one time
- at least 3 feet apart and masked at all times while in the locker rooms and in other indoor areas (bathroom, training room, etc.)
- 3 feet distancing required
- masks required when 3 feet distancing cannot be met
- bring your own water bottle (water will be available but community use of water will not be permitted) – clearly label all water bottles and other personal items
- students should wear their own appropriate workout clothing (do not share clothing)
- individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout immediately upon returning home
- frequent hand washing is highly encouraged
- are encouraged
- are not mandatory unless the DOH determines them to be mandatory for participation
If you haven’t done so already, we encourage you to sign-up for ParentSquare. Please visit www.parentsquare.com and sign up using the contact information on file with the school district. This platform will allow you to stay up-to-date and connected with important communication on a classroom, building and district level.
We thank you for your patience as we work to ensure the health and safety of our student-athletes as we head into the 2021-22 school year.
Mr. William Roemer