The South Colonie Central School District will be asking residents to vote Tuesday, May 16 on a $122 million dollar spending plan that preserves current programs and provides key enhancements for students.
In addition to voting on the school budget, South Colonie residents will be asked to consider authorizing the purchase of eight replacement school buses of various sizes—six (6) 66 passenger buses, one (1) 18/3 wheelchair bus and one (1) 42 passenger bus — overall cost not to exceed $1,318,000.
Residents will also elect two candidates to serve on the South Colonie Board of Education.
Absentee Ballots available
Any resident who is an eligible voter who will be out of town on that date or unable to get to the polls can submit an application to vote by absentee ballot.
Individuals are eligible to vote if they are a U.S citizen, at least 18 years old and a resident of the school district for at least 30 days prior to the vote.
The following are valid reasons for eligible voters to apply for an absentee ballot. If you are:
- A patient in the hospital or unable to appear personally at the polling place because of illness or physical disability;
- Required by duties, studies, occupation or business to be outside of the county on the vote date. A brief description of such duties, studies, occupation or business that requires such absence would need to be provided on the ballot application;
- On vacation outside of the county;
- Detained in jail awaiting grand jury action;
- Confined in prison after conviction of an offense other than a felony;
- Detained in jail awaiting trial, and
- Accompanying a spouse, parent or child outside of the county on the vote date.
Absentee ballot applications are available online and at the South Colonie District Office, 102 Loralee Drive, Albany NY 12205.
Residents can also contact the District Clerk Amber Lanigan at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 518-869-3576 ext. 0442 to request an absentee ballot application. If requested by email, please include your name, address and phone number with the request.
Applications must be received at the South Colonie Central School District Office by 5 p.m. May 9 if the ballot is to be mailed, or 3 p.m. May 15 if the ballot is to be picked up.